Monday, February 29, 2016

Jameson & Ginger


If you follow me on Instagram then you know that Johnny and I have two little additions to our family. Meet Jameson (brown) and Ginger (white). I've never ever owned a bird before, they always kind of freaked me out. So I was just as surprised as anyone when I'm suddenly heading home with two birds in a cage. I just can't help myself apparently when it comes to pets, I see them and suddenly I black out and when I get home... We have a new friend. At least this time Johnny was partly to blame.

Our new little birds are finches. The brown is a Society finch and the white a Zebra finch. When I was a kid, my grandparents would take me to San Diego and we would stay in a hotel called the Horton Grand. I loved that hotel and the lobby had a huge aviary filled with finches. It's something I've never forgotten. Parrots are frightening so these little songbirds will do just fine.


As far as we can tell from researching online, they both seem to be females since they don't really sing and just chirp a lot. They are also extremely messy eaters which I wasn't completely prepared for but no biggie. Just another reason to think outside the box and come up with something creative to keep the seeds off the floor.

I'm an expert on dogs but completely out of my element with these guys so I'm honestly learning as I go. I'm looking to get them a bigger cage since they fly horizontally and vertical cages aren't great for that. They also aren't very hands-on birds but I've seen some videos of tamed finches so I'm hoping patience and time will bring them around.


I'm also trying to figure out if I should leave them outside in the shaded patio during the days when we are at work. They really enjoy being outside (big surprise) and I think it would help separate them from the dogs when nobody is here until I can trust them. They are sweet little things and I'm already quite fond of them and their little sounds.

 Any advice fellow bird lovers for a bird newb?

1 comment

  1. Thank you! They are very active messy things but I do love them a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love <3