Saturday, August 10, 2013

Lavender Coffee Syrup


Ever since I saw Katie @ Skunkboy talk about getting amazing lavender iced coffees at a little place by her home, I became obsessed. I love coffee. I love lavender. The two together sound amazing! Unfortunately Las Vegas doesn't host any kind of place that makes such a thing which means Starbucks really needs to up their game here.... How are they not serving these already?

So it seems I would have to take matters into my own hands and try to make my own. I tried my own variation based on the following three recipes I found: here, here, & here.

I tried the first one to a T but I'm not a big fan of brown sugar and I had the wrong part of lavender since I had a really hard time finding the buds... So I scratched it and started again. I luckily came across the buds in a spice and tea store that had just opened up near by and I used white cane sugar instead of brown.


Lavender Coffee Syrup

1 cup water
1 tablespoon lavender buds
1 cup sugar (white or brown)

Combine all three ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a light simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Strain the buds out of the mixture and bottle it up!



It's really that easy but it takes some practice to find the level of lavender taste you want. The longer you cook it, the stronger the lavender taste will be and that sometimes means it might be a little soapy. Double the recipe to make more of it. I also suggest that usually this way comes out a lot more watery then syrupy. To fix that, go ahead and strain the buds out and then continue to reduce the mixture...Basically boil it down till it reaches a consistency you like.


I'm still trying to find the iced coffee mix I like the most.. I enjoy putting a little of it into my Starbucks though!



I found the syrup bottles for super cheap (like $2) at TJ Max. 


This syrup is good for more than just coffee. You can put it in a pound cake or sweeten tea with it. The possibilities are endless!

Let me know if you tried this recipe and any twerks you might have made to it... Or if you have an even better version then I would love to hear it!

3 comments

  1. That sounds just delightful! I don't drink coffee but I'm going to take your suggestion and try something like this in my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YuM! Thanks for linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I love lavender anything and this sounds amazing! Thanks for linking-up with us for Kitchenspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love <3