Monday, January 11, 2016

RIP Goblin King


Usually celebrity deaths don't stir many emotions in me. Yes it's sad but it's not like I knew them personally. The passing of David Bowie however has left me more melancholy and nostalgic than I thought it would. I remember when I was a kid at my preschool/daycare, every Friday they would make us watch either Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal. I hated both movies, they freaked me out and granted... I was about 5 or 6 so it a reasonable freak out. As I became a teenager, I still hated The Dark Crystal. Labyrinth I gave a second chance. I found the Goblin King to be quite seductively hot. Welcome to puberty!

I harbored a new appreciation for all things David Bowie as I did with quite a few other things and artists as I got older. Space Oddity. Rebel Rebel. Dance Magic Dance. Young Americans. I could go on and on. Today I have a few Bowie vinyls in my collection and Labyrinth has become a classic to me as I'm sure it is to many of my generation.

I think Bowie's passing hits me a little harder because it's a reminder that I'm getting older. We are all getting older. Which means we will continue to lose the greats, the ones we love, the ones we admire, the ones we grew up with. A reminder that time passes fast and we need to be true to ourselves and our dreams, like Bowie was. He was a true individual and originalist. So today I'll mourn with everyone else and remember a legend as I listen to his records, watch his movies, remember that time is short.

"I don't know where I'm going from here,
                               but I promise it won't be boring."

RIP Starman

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave some love <3